Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Reference Luminosity Function
01-30-2014, 12:39
Reference Luminosity Function
Dear Emmanuel,

a few quick questions on the way catalogs are generated:

1) is there a reference paper for the LF parameters of different HUBBLE_TYPE galaxies as used in Stuff?

2) is it possible to save galaxy redshifts in the output catalog?

3) by the way: which is the highest redshift considered?

I ask you this because we are simulating deep extragalactic fields and it would be very useful to gain more control on the galaxy populations we put in!

Thanks a lot,

Marco
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2014, 10:31 (This post was last modified: 02-24-2014 10:38 by Emmanuel Bertin.)
RE: Reference Luminosity Function
Hi Marco,

sorry for not replying earlier.

Quote:1) is there a reference paper for the LF parameters of different HUBBLE_TYPE galaxies as used in Stuff?

The parameters set by default are old "stuff", so extreme caution is advised, and it is recommended to set your own parameters. As far as I remember the default LF parameters are from Madgwick et al. 2002 (the 2dFGRS survey). Although I am generally reluctant to use data from photographic plates, these numbers prove (at the time) to be in good agreement with CCD measurements and the more recent results from the SDSS. Besides, they were in a blue photometric system compatible with that in which B/T ratios are defined and the 2dF spectral classes seemed to match quite well the ones I had set (I naively link them to morphological types). The evolutionary terms follow Gabash et al. 2004.
The increase in SB is modelled as dM* = a.ln(1+z). The a parameter is designated by the LF_MSTAREVOL keyword in the Stuff configuration file. Depending on the authors (Blanton et al. 2003, Gabasch et al. 2004, Ilbert et al. 2005) estimates for LF_MSTAREVOL in the blue band varied from -2.0 to -1.0 at the time. Although it depends on the galaxy type, I set the default LF_MSTAREVOL to -1.5 for all types.

Quote:2) is it possible to save galaxy redshifts in the output catalog?

They already are in the output catalogue (penultimate column).

Quote:3) by the way: which is the highest redshift considered?

The cosmology is valid up to z=20 (this may be changed with a #define), but of course if you want to get a non-zero number of galaxies in your output catalogue at reference magnitudes < 50 at high redshifts you will need to set a rather red reference passband.

- Emmanuel.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply