Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
more than 3 colours
01-13-2011, 20:19
more than 3 colours
Hi,
Can STIFF combine more than 3 images? For example, I would like to combine SDSS and 2MASS images = 5 + 3 = 8 images in total. Using SWARP I have resampled images to the same arcsec scale, but how to color each differently?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2011, 15:21
RE: more than 3 colours
Hi Ana,

sorry, my reply comes a bit late Big Grin. STIFF cannot manage more that 3 images at the present time. I could certainly add the possibility to read n images, provided that the user is given the possibility to edit an n x 3 mixing matrix. But of course the mixing can already be done prior to running STIFF. If the images are relatively artifact-free, you may for instance try a KL-decomposition of your image datacube and provide STIFF with the 3 output vectors that carry the highest variance.
- Emmanuel.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2013, 16:12 (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 19:01 by indiajoe.)
Hi Bertin,
Thanks for the KL-decomposition suggestion.
What is your opinion on Luminance Layering technique for combining 4 images to create LRGB images?
As per the description I found in the link below, I think it is a pretty neat method to make really beautiful colour images.
http://www.robgendlerastropics.com/LRGB.html
http://www.astropixels.co.uk/LRGB_primer.htm
-cheers
indiajoe
Find all posts by this user
05-13-2013, 17:07
Thanks indiajoe,
this is interesting; although you may loose some of the "fireworks effect" in some fields: the visual impact from myriads of point sources with intense colours. A similar degradation already occurs in video (and to a lesser extent with Bayer masks and JPEG compression) because of chrominance subsampling.
Image filtering does not fit very well in the current way data are managed in STIFF. I will put it in my "nice to have" list for future versions.
- Emmanuel.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user