Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Skymaker oversampling
08-01-2007, 12:33
Skymaker oversampling
Hi Emmanuel,

I have two questions about skymaker.
1) playing with the skymaker input params I found that if you increase the PSF_OVERSAMP value you get a FWHM smaller then the input SEEING_FWHM. That sounds strange to me.
Any hint about a reasonable value for that parameter?

2) setting SEED_MOTION and SEED_STARPOS to non zero values I found that the images produced without changing any params are not exactly the same (few stars in the difference image).

Thanks in advance for the answer

Lino
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2007, 15:54
RE: Skymaker oversampling
Hello Lino,

thanks for posting on the forum.
Quote:1) playing with the skymaker input params I found that if you increase the PSF_OVERSAMP value you get a FWHM smaller then the input SEEING_FWHM. That sounds strange to me.

One side effect of PSF_OVERSAMP is that it decreases the extent of the PSF model on the simulated image (if PSF_MAPSIZE is kept constant). So if the PSF FWHM is measured with SExtractor's FLUX_RADIUS, with a PSF_MAPSIZE too small for such a high sampling, there is definitely the possibility to have an impact on the half-light radius (mostly because of missing wings).
To simulate ground-based images, for a given PSF_MAPSIZE (which basically sets the speed at which each object is computed), it is sufficient to adjust PSF_OVERSAMP to an odd value, in such a way that the upper boundary of the pupil range is higher than Telescope_diameter + 2 times "r0" (Fried radius). In other words, increase PSF_OVERSAMP until the WARNING message disappear!

Quote:2) setting SEED_MOTION and SEED_STARPOS to non zero values I found that the images produced without changing any params are not exactly the same (few stars in the difference image).

This should not happen. You simulate only stars?

Cheers
- Emmanuel.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2007, 16:04 (This post was last modified: 08-01-2007 17:10 by Emmanuel Bertin.)
Hi Emmanuel,

Emmanuel Bertin Wrote:Hello Lino,

thanks for posting on the forum.
Quote:1) playing with the skymaker input params I found that if you increase the PSF_OVERSAMP value you get a FWHM smaller then the input SEEING_FWHM. That sounds strange to me.

One side effect of PSF_OVERSAMP is that it decreases the extent of the PSF model on the simulated image (if PSF_MAPSIZE is kept constant). So if the PSF FWHM is measured with SExtractor's FLUX_RADIUS, with a PSF_MAPSIZE too small for such a high sampling, there is definitely the possibility to have an impact on the half-light radius (mostly because of missing wings).
To simulate ground-based images, for a given PSF_MAPSIZE (which basically sets the speed at which each object is computed), it is sufficient to adjust PSF_OVERSAMP to an odd value, in such a way that the upper boundary of the pupil range is higher than Telescope_diameter + 2 times "r0" (Fried radius). In other words, increase PSF_OVERSAMP until the WARNING message disappear!

Quote:2) setting SEED_MOTION and SEED_STARPOS to non zero values I found that the images produced without changing any params are not exactly the same (few stars in the difference image).

This should not happen. You simulate only stars?

Cheers
- Emmanuel.

Yes, only stars.

ciao

Lino
08-01-2007, 17:11
Gloops. I will investigate and report back to you!
Cheers
- Emmanuel.
08-03-2010, 02:40 (This post was last modified: 08-04-2010 02:50 by natsushi.)
Hi Emmanuel and Lino,

(08-01-2007 17:11)Emmanuel Bertin Wrote:  Gloops. I will investigate and report back to you!
Cheers
- Emmanuel.

I also have same problem on random seed of stars; with exactly same random seed, the star positions differ run by run.

This happens if one compiles with multi-threads mode(maybe default?).
The quick solution is explicitly disabling the multi-threads option, i.e. ./configure --disable-threads.
Also be sure to have single thread mode FFTW library.

-Atsushi,
08-13-2010, 10:18
Hi Atsushi,

what version of SkyMaker are you referring to? This should have been fixed since V3.2.1.
- Emmanuel.
07-20-2013, 09:06
(08-01-2007 15:54)Emmanuel Bertin Wrote:  One side effect of PSF_OVERSAMP is that it decreases the extent of the PSF model on the simulated image (if PSF_MAPSIZE is kept constant). So if the PSF FWHM is measured with SExtractor's FLUX_RADIUS, with a PSF_MAPSIZE too small for such a high sampling, there is definitely the possibility to have an impact on the half-light radius (mostly because of missing wings).

Cheers
- Emmanuel.

Very important note! Thank you.
Probably should introduce a new WARNING message.
That oversampling is too high.
Too high oversampling leads to a shift in position:

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-20-2013, 15:06
There are some problems with PSF_OVERSAMP <5 and large PSF_MAPSIZE.

Quote:sky -M1_DIAMETER 0.508 -M2_DIAMETER 0.1778 -ARM_COUNT 0 -MAG_ZEROPOINT 20.8208 -EXPOSURE_TIME 300 -PIXEL_SIZE 0.1 -SEEING_FWHM 0.5 -IMAGE_SIZE 4096 -STARCOUNT_ZP 5e3 -BACK_MAG 21 -WAVELENGTH 0.5 -PSF_MAPSIZE 8192 -MAG_LIMITS 12.0,20.0 -PSF_OVERSAMP 5

> WARNING: sky.conf not found, using internal defaults

----- SkyMaker 3.10.4 started on 2013-07-20 at 17:54:48 with 8 threads

Pupil range: 0.6-5156.6mm / Subsampling: 1X / ro=20.1cm / motion=0.00'' rms
57 sources added
> All done (in 50.8 s: 1.1 sources/s)

Quote:sky -M1_DIAMETER 0.508 -M2_DIAMETER 0.1778 -ARM_COUNT 0 -MAG_ZEROPOINT 20.8208 -EXPOSURE_TIME 300 -PIXEL_SIZE 0.1 -SEEING_FWHM 0.5 -IMAGE_SIZE 4096 -STARCOUNT_ZP 5e3 -BACK_MAG 21 -WAVELENGTH 0.5 -PSF_MAPSIZE 8192 -MAG_LIMITS 12.0,20.0 -PSF_OVERSAMP 3

> WARNING: sky.conf not found, using internal defaults

----- SkyMaker 3.10.4 started on 2013-07-20 at 18:00:32 with 8 threads

Pupil range: 0.4-3094.0mm / Subsampling: 1X / ro=20.1cm / motion=0.00'' rms
> Adding 79 stars...
Floating point exception (core dumped)
08-27-2013, 22:04
Hi bmv,

thanks for the bug report. It is now fixed in the latest development version (v3.10.5).
- Emmanuel.
08-27-2013, 22:21
(07-20-2013 09:06)bmv Wrote:  Very important note! Thank you.
Probably should introduce a new WARNING message.
That oversampling is too high.
Too high oversampling leads to a shift in position:

Hi bmv,

I am confused, what does the plot show exactly (especially on the y axis)?
- Emmanuel.