Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Trouble to install with fftw threads
06-05-2007, 14:01 (This post was last modified: 06-05-2007 14:01 by Jan Kohnert.)
RE: Trouble to install with fftw threads
But that error is not an error coming from a not found header file:

arm2arm Wrote:collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [sky] Error 1

The linker does not find the correct library. The problem is, that you need to build libfftw with the option --enable-float for the configure-script. That will end in buildding libfftwf, which is what you need. Smile

Regards Jan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2007, 14:14
That did it!

so the tricks are

(1) compile fftw3 myself with

./configure --enable-float

(2) Set the Flags as

CPPFLAGS='-B/usr/local/'
LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/lib'

(3) configure and make sky.

Looks good. Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Ronak
06-05-2007, 15:03
You're welcome. Smile

Best regards Jan
06-05-2007, 15:38
Thank you so much Jan,
in summary what would be your suggestions to improve the portability of the FFTW configuration?
- Emmanuel.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2007, 16:24
As for FFTW, perhaps adding the appropriate "IF" statements to let configure sort it out might help.

Or, just add to the README or INSTALL the fact that users may need to re-install FFTW from source, and what the best way to do this would be.

Unfortunately, our systems have stripped down installations of Red Hat. I am only learning the gaps as I try to install software.

On another note, I have successfully compiled and ran SExtractor on a CYGWIN installation under Windows XP/SP2. I am working now on putting Skymaker under the same system. I will try to record how well or poorly this works and provide it to the TERAPIX forum. Though annoying, many places use Windows. I prefer Linux, but as the old saying goes, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do".

Cheers,
Ronak
06-05-2007, 16:43 (This post was last modified: 06-05-2007 16:44 by Jan Kohnert.)
I just found out, looking at the sources of fftw, that it uses pkg-config and puts a small textfile called fftw3.pc (or/and fftw3f.pc, respectively) into $prefix/lib/pkgconfig

So I think, we should make use of pkg-config. It should not be too difficult to implement (just some changes in the autoconf/automake scripts). If you need help with this, I can have a look at the sources, just tell me.

In that case, skymaker (or scamp) would just look for a working pkg-config and then ask this program for fftw3 and the compile parameters. And if someone has installed it in a non-standard location, one can set an environment variable called PKG_CONFIG_PATH holding the non-standard location.

In this way, we firstly check for a working copy of fftw3f, which is needed instead of fftw and secondly, we get the correct include- and libdirs needed for compiling.

I think that would make a big step forward in portability.

Best regards Jan
06-05-2007, 17:27
That sounds like a great idea to enhance portability. As I mentioned before, I am performing lots of this under Cygwin as well as Linux. Windows is my desktop, and having Linux-style usage is wonderful. The portability of your packages may be even more enhanced with your changes in light of the possibility of working under Cygwin ports in XP or even VISTA.

Cheers,
Ronak
06-15-2007, 18:08
Hi Ronak,

I have the same errors as you had, when I install skymaker.
I read this whole thread, and still not sure what should I do. The problem is I know next then nothing about compile or set/export stuff. Do you mind tell me what exactly I have to do? Thanks alot.

Sunne

rshah@ll.mit.edu Wrote:That did it!

so the tricks are

(1) compile fftw3 myself with

(2) Set the Flags as

CPPFLAGS='-B/usr/local/'
LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/lib'

(3) configure and make sky.

Looks good.  Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Ronak
06-15-2007, 18:40
Hi Sunne or XYDONG:

I am assuming you are using a non-redhat Linux distro.

--> If you have RedHat or Fedora, use the rpms on the terapix page.

--> If you have Debian, you can convert rpms to deb files -- these can then be installed with the Debian equivalent to rpm, "deb".

[1] You need root or su privelages on your computer. I suggest you google that in order to see how it works.

[2] download, from http://www.fftw.org, the appropriate distribution of the Fast Fourier transform libs on to your computer, and unpackage them in some local directory. I prefer /usr/local/src

[3] enter the fftw directory and follow my directions for compiling fftw. You should read the README and INSTALL files to be sure:

make
make install

[4] Now use my the FLAGS settings from my previous thread (just cut-n-paste onto your terminal window)

[5] Re-compile skymaker.

-rys
06-15-2007, 18:48
Hi,

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I will try that. I will probably bother you again for more questions.

Sunne